Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Update on the Chili

Well I didn’t win the chili cook-off. I wasn’t too hurt by it as I know that politics had a lot to do with it. But my pot was bigger then most and it was mostly gone when we went home that night so I think that many enjoyed it.

I also feel that its time to share the chili with the world here is my recipe.

(Serves 16)

Ingredients:
------------
oil
3 medium onions, finely chopped
2 medium green peppers, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
8 lbs coarsely ground beef
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
2 can (1lb-13oz) cans stewed tomatoes
2 can (1lb) tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 jar (3oz) chili powder
1 medium jalapeno chili, seeded and chopped
2 tblsp salt
Oregano
garlic salt
coarsely ground pepper

Instructions:
-------------
Thinly cover bottom of heavy 2 gal pot with oil. Saute onions, green
peppers and celery 10 min. Add meat and cook 10 min or until brown.
Stir in tomato paste, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Add chopped garlic, chili powder, salt, dash oregano, chile salsa and
jalapeno. Cook 30 min, season to taste with garlic salt and pepper,
then simmer 10 hours. Stir every 10-15 min.

Be warned this makes a ton so make sure you have a huge pot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you lost the contest. It sounds like quite a pot of Chili. I would tell Brooke to try your recipe, but I hate Chili.

Jeff said...

You know I wanted to win, badly but it was not my time. I will train and cook harder everyday to be the winner next year.

You might like my chili Ty.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I have a hard time with chili. Of course you guys would have to move back to Utah for me to have the opportunity in the first place.

Brooke said...

I am glad you provided this recipe! Our ward is having a chili cookoff tomorrow so maybe I'll cook your recipe and see if it will win here in Utah! Did you make it up yourself?